Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Michael's Story- as told by Emily Thomas

Three weeks ago today, my husband and I were rushing home so that I could photograph those first sweet moments of a new baby’s life.  What happened during the course of the next four days was not what I had imagined it would be. Its hard to put into words so many emotions, so much hurt and yet so much love.  On October 14 Michael Angelo Seguinot entered this world. He was not like most newborns. He was struggling and so was his mama.   



"I am going to send an angel in front of you, to guard you on the way and to bring you to the place that I have prepared." Exodus 23:20 

 
Three days later I met him for the first time and I am sure those who had the privilege of meeting him will agree, he stole your heart the moment you laid eyes on him. Even with so many wires and tubes his handsome little face shone through. He was perfect. 


 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made
~ Psalm 139:14



“How very quietly you tiptoed into our world, silently, only a moment you stayed. But what an imprint your footprints have left upon our hearts.’

  


What I witnessed in the next two days changed my life forever. From the time I entered the hospital until the time I left there wasn’t a minute that went by that I could not see love pouring out from the faces of his family.  Every stroke of his head, or warm hand over his heart telling him we are here, we love you. Unconditional love surrounded Michael every second of his life.


            

     "A family is a circle of love, not broken by a loss, but made stronger by the memories."



Even the youngest of micheal’s family loved him like they had known him their whole lives. A sibling bond that no words could describe.  Clearly a love that they learned from their incredible parents. 


  “To the world you may be one person…but to one person you may be the world.”





"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched, but are felt in the heart.


Early Thursday I headed back to the hospital to a scene that tore me apart like nothing else I have ever witnessed. A loving husband with his arm around his wife, both with faces so lost and so hopeless. Surrounding them were seven or eight nurses and a doctor. Telling them with as much gentleness as humanly possible that Michaels time with us was nearing its end. Everyone took their turn saying goodbye. 




”If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.”




Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. 1 Corinthians 13:7-8


His very brave big brother knew Michael was going to heaven soon. Even through his fear and sadness he found the courage to read his little brother a book.



“So little, so loved.”


 Finally it was Michael’s time to be in his mothers arms. A moment that with any normal delivery would be a mothers first chance to hold her baby, but for Nicole it was a chance to say goodbye. A chance to love on her baby, with more love than some children ever feel in a lifetime.



“No one can know how much I love you, because you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.”



 
 Sometimes love is for a moment.
Sometimes love is for a lifetime.
Sometimes a moment is a lifetime.

She held him with a love like only a mother can.  They say a picture speaks a thousand words, but in this moment there were no words, just beautiful, heartbreaking emotions. 

“Out of these ashes, beauty will rise.”


 As I type through tears I know that Michael taught me to be strong. He taught everyone that life is precious and not something to be taken for granted. I am so honored to have been a part of his life. To have witnessed such love and strength poured out from his parents.

Someday when the time is right, he will also teach us hope. Hope that there is life after death. That there is a meaning to every life no matter how long it may be. A hope that God will give us peace in our sorrow and strength to face every day, even when we may not want to.  I know without a doubt that I will never forget baby Michael, or what he has taught me. I will forever be thankful to have been a part of life.  


"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:26



Original post by Emily Thomas can be found here.
All photography by Emily Thomas of Sweet Moments Photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment